So. I’m in a bit of denial. Apparently, my wedding date is right around the corner (July 12). Who knew?!?!?! I certainly didn’t. And my eating and drinking habits don’t either. But, I’ll get to that in a minute.
First things first: running, my primary form is exercise, is no longer a part of my exercise routine. Let’s back up a bit. Way back in 2011 I went snowboarding with my then-boyfriend (now fiance) in Colorado like we do every winter. Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was doing in snowboard boots and ended up with 2 broken feet. I know, shocking. The real shocker is that I had 2 broken feet and didn’t find out they were broken for about 8 months after the fact. You didn’t know it was possible to walk around with 2 broken feet for months, did you??? Well, it is. All i knew is that it hurt my feet to run when I got on the treadmills at the gym, so I stopped for a long time and only did the elliptical and body pump. Eventually, my feet “healed” and I was able to run again, and I did so from 2012 up until a few months ago. I don’t know how or why, but my feet are bothering me again and it’s painful for me to run any more than about a quarter of a mile. So, for now I’m hanging up my brand new, absolutely amazing, hot pink Asics and trying to figure out just how I’m going to get in shape for my wedding (THAT’S IN 3 MONTHS IN CASE YOU FORGOT OR DIDN’T READ THE TITLE OF THIS POST) without being able to do my go-to cardio.
Okay, on to how I plan on looking my absolute best on my wedding day! I don’t know. Help me?
Let’s take a look at what I’ve been doing pretty consistently:
1. Drinking water like a boss (unless it’s the weekend and then I completely forget water exists).
2. Attending hot vinyasa yoga classes about once a week. I don’t know how much of a calorie burner this is but I know I always feel like I just got my ass kicked when class is over.
3. Making it to the gym for boot camp class about once a week.
4. Making it to the gym to do elliptical and/or circuits/weights 1-2x a week.
Now, let me list what I know I need to be doing that I’m not and I need to find some motivation to do:
1. Get better at planning out my meals/meal prepping on the weekend or whenever I have time. This will prevent me from eating Chipotle every week.
2. Figure out how to get more effective cardio in. I know reading O magazine on the elliptical is not going to get me to my goals. For me, this means probably trying to get in at least one swim a week and hanging out with that dreaded machine, the StairMaster. Oh, and maybe Udeme can teach me how to use the rower.
3. Lift weights/get swoll like Tookie. Focusing in particular on my arms, since my dresses are strapless. Luckily, my arms tone up pretty quickly if I’m consistent (especially if I swim and go to yoga regularly). I’m going to make it my goal to lift heavier weight with less reps. For me, this means using 20 lbs dumbells and doing 6-8 reps of exercises like bicep curls instead of using 10-12 lbs s and doing 12-15 reps.
4. Stop drinking like a lush. This is a toughie. In my office, we have “beer fridays.” I love beer, particularly craft beer. In fact, I’m kind of having a love affair with Stouts right now. Beer is not good for the gut. I need to try to cut back to 1-2 drinks/week and then I’m thinking of going cold turkey for a month prior to the wedding. I know this alone will help me shed a couple pounds. Downside: I may be sloppy drunk at my own wedding. Oh well!
-What do you do to get in shape for a big event? How do you stay motivated along the way?
-What’s your favorite form of non-running cardio?
Until next time!