I adapted this breakfast strata recipe from Julie of Peanut Butter Fingers and it’s delicious! I used bacon instead of sausage since I prefer the former and I added some shredded cheese since I love cheese. It came out really well and my husband and I really enjoyed it. It was savory and filling, which is always a plus. Also, it reheated really well so it’s a great dish for meal prep days.
Waffle & Bacon Breakfast Strata
What You’ll Need:
- 6 frozen waffles, toasted and torn apart; (I used gluten free waffles in order to mimic the recipe as closely as possible, but you can use regular waffles as well)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4-5 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (you can use more but this was enough for me)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
What To Do
- Start cooking the strips of bacon in a large skillet and begin toasting the waffles.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Continue cooking bacon until they are all done, remove from skillet and cut the bacon into small pieces.
- Drain excess oil from the skillet (add cooking spray or olive oil if needed) and sauté the onion and bell pepper until onion is translucent and pepper is slightly soft. Sprinkle in a little bit of salt and pepper to season the veggies while they are cooking.Toward the end of the cooking process, toss in the cut bacon and mix with the veggies. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and 1/2 teaspoons of salt and pepper. Add vegetables, bacon, cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour egg and bacon mixture over waffles and press down on mixture so it soaks into the waffles.
- Bake the strata for 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
Approximate Nutritional Facts (for 4 servings)
386 calories; 30.8g carbohydrates; 20.9g protein