Earlier this year, I was officially introduced to Blue Apron. I had heard about Blue Apron from one of my colleagues who used the service habitually so I was curious about how my own experience would be.
The Skinny on Blue Apron
Blue Apron is a service that delivers farm fresh ingredients and original recipes to your door so you can whip up some delicious meals. Our trial was the 2 person meal plan since it is just my husband and I. Each week, we were sent a package consisting of 3 meals that we could prepare–the package included step-by-step recipe cards and every single ingredient we needed to whip up these meals.
Blue Apron Packaging
My first delivery arrived on time (which impressed me due to the inclement weather) we had on that evening. Due to a recent grocery store trip, I already had my own food to eat that evening and the next day so I was a bit concerned. My thought was that the food would spoil if I had to delay my plans for making these meals. I texted my friend who referred me to this service and asked her how she handled this scenario. She reassured me that I didn’t have to rush to make the food and that she typically made all the meals within a week’s time. When I actually opened the package I had an “aha moment.” All of the food products were stored in insulated aluminum packaging and there was a large ice pack/ice slab that kept meat and fish items super cold.
- It saved me trips to the grocery store since each delivery came with everything we needed to make each meals. Note, I don’t like grocery shopping so this was wonderful.
- We got to try out different ingredients and meals that we honestly would never have made.
- It was fun bonding time for us since we could prepare these meals together and catch up on our days.
- The awesome recipe cards were super easy to follow and I we stowed each one away for a later date! I love that we can recreate these meals on our own if we want.
- You don’t have to get meals delivered each week, you can opt out whenever and cancel anytime that you want.
- The meals were filling and delicious!
- These meals weren’t super quick to make so on days that we were starving, we had to really try to power through so we could fill our bellies.
- The recipe cards don’t include the full range of nutritional facts, it only includes the calories. According to Blue Apron, this is because the nutrient amount varies depending on the sizes of produce, amount of oil used etc. which makes sense.
- Pricing– the meal totals out to $9.99 per serving which ends up being $59.94/week for two people total. This may or may not be a con for some depending on if you’re a person/household that tends to eat out a lot. We don’t eat out a lot so this was steep for us.
Some Meals We Made and Ate:
We definitely enjoyed our Blue Apron experience and we would try it again in the future. I loved that the ingredients were fresh, recipes were easy to follow, and that I got to expose my palette to new good eats.